For licensing purposes, carpentry means the cutting and placing timber, or timber composites, in construction work on site to erect framing and fix components or assemblies used in construction work such as stairs, windows, doors, wallboards (excluding plaster boards which is dry plastering), floors, etc. It includes the erection of metal framing and the construction of formwork in preparation for concreting.
Works encompassed by the term carpentry include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- minor non-structural concreting associated with a dwelling where that concreting is ancillary to carpentry work
- concreting for footings/structural support associated with outdoor construction (eg. pergolas, timber decks, timber and metal fencing and the like) [does not include concrete paths, slabs etc which are works specifically considered to fall within the scope of the category of general concreting and require the holding of that category]
- exterior wall cladding (excluding brick or masonry)
- curtain walling
- internal timber cladding of walls and ceilings
- work involved in the category of flooring
- non-habitable outdoor shelters/structures (excluding brick/masonry) such as pergolas, gazebos and the like (does not include garages, sheds or carports which are building work categories)
- timber retaining walls not requiring approval under the Local Government Act 1993 (retaining walls requiring such approval are considered to be structural landscaping for the purposes of the Home Building Act 1989).
(1) Completion of:
- CPC30211 Certificate III in Carpentry: or
- CPC32011 Certificate III in Carpentry and Joinery
(2) Completion of any of the following qualifications:
- CPC30208 Certificate III in Carpentry or
- CPC32008 Certificate III in Carpentry and Joinery or
- BCG30203 Certificate III in Carpentry or
- BCG30798 Certificate III in General Construction (Carpentry – Framework/Formwork/Finishing), TAFE course #7078 or
- Qualification 10888 Certificate III in General Construction (Carpentry)- Housing – Trade TAFE Course #2192 or
- Certificate III in Carpentry and Joinery Trade TAFE Course #2149 or
- Certificate III in Carpentry and Joinery Trade TAFE Course #5158.